Friday, April 30, 2021

12/13/19 discussion about US Senate seats up for election in 2020

Here is the link to my December 13, 2019, Twitter thread listing of the websites for the state democratic parties in the states with Senate seats up for election that were currently held by Republicans.

I'm particularly proud of this thread.

As I've discussed in previous posts, I was really worried by the fact that, through 2019 and 2020, the Democrats were so focused on the presidential elections that they seemed not to be paying attention to any other races -- in particular all the races for Congress.

While I, like everybody else, knew that the presidential race was of the utmost importance, I wanted to inspire people to think a lot more about down-ballot races.

I chose one thing to focus on, which was flipping the US Senate from Republican to Democratic control. And I figured the best way to start to inspire people to do this was by pushing the state democratic parties in states where US Senate seats could be flipped from Republican to Democrat.

I myself donated money on a monthly basis to some, but not all, of these state democratic parties. Also, on and off throughout 2020, I retweeted as much stuff as I could from these state democratic parties, in order to keep giving these states more exposure.

As I've also mentioned before, my fears didn't really play out as badly as I thought they would.

The Democrats definitely hemorrhaged a lot of seats in the US House. And that was simply due to the fact that they weren't paying good enough attention to those elections. However, the Democrats kept control of the House, if only barely. Also -- I didn't push for more visibility and thought on the House elections, simply because even I didn't think they were in terrible danger.

Also, even though people really didn't pay attention to US Senate races, the Democrats essentially still won control of the Senate -- though the story of how that control was eventually won was really complex and did, eventually, happen because Democrats nationwide pitched in on the runoff effort in Georgia.

In my home state of Colorado, we did flip our Republican seat to a Democrat. The only other seat the Democrats won, however, before the Georgia runoff, was the Arizona seat -- which, strangely, I neglected to mention at all in this thread, and which, therefore, I really never mentioned at all throughout all of 2020!

I have said this in previous posts as well. But my big fear is that in 2022, the Democrats aren't going to be as prepared as they need to be, not only to defend every Democratic seat in Congress, but to do their very best to flip every Republican-controlled seat in Congress. Because if we don't flip every Republican seat in Congress in 2022, there's a very good likelihood, each of those seats will become controlled by an ultra-conservative, white-supremacist Republican. And that could spell very bad news, if not a total collapse, for democracy in America.

Thank you for reading. Please enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment