Monday, April 30, 2018

8/24/2014 review of Kurt & Courtney, by Nick Broomfield

Here is a link to my August 24, 2014 Twitter review of Kurt & Courtney, by Nick Broomfield.

The Twitter review is rather short. But Nick Broomfield's documentary Kurt & Courtney is really good.

Broomfield's documentary style is a lot like that of Michael Moore's style in Roger & Me. Broomfield doesn't shy away from asking questions, even if he feels those questions will anger people a lot or get him in deep trouble. In this case, the documentary basically ends with a kind of ugly confrontation between Broomfield and Courtney Love.

Here is the trailer for Kurt & Courtney.


In my thread, I also mention Nick Broomfield's documentary Heidi Fleiss: Hollywood Madam. I think it would be worthwhile for theaters to re-screen this documentary today, as it makes a lot of important points about how sex is used in the context of blackmail -- when it really shouldn't be.


I actually got started watching Nick Broomfield's documentaries by watching his documentary Fetishes, which is wonderful. Broomfield has done a lot of other documentaries, including two on serial killer Aileen Wuornos, as well as Biggie & Tupac, on the lives of the Notorious B.I.G. and Tupac Shakur.

I was also excited to learn that Nick Broomfield has another documentary out: Whitney "Can I Be Me", about Whitney Houston. I need to see it!


Another thing I mention in my Twitter review on Kurt & Courtney is Charles Kingsley's book The Water Babies, which is a lovely book -- especially the illustrations by Jessie Wilcox Smith. Here's one illustration.


No comments:

Post a Comment