Friday, May 4, 2018

9/14/2014 review of TEDxMileHigh Convergence event

Hello! This blog is an attempt to put links to all my Twitter threads into a "table of contents," but also give the threads a little more context, updates, etc.

This post is related to my September 14, 2014, Twitter review of the TEDxMileHigh Convergence event. Here is a link to the Twitter thread.

TED talks are, of course, ubiquitous by now. I actually hadn't known until talking with my friend one day that TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, and Design. I'd previously always thought they were just named after some guy named Ted. Or maybe Teddy Ruxpin.

TEDx talks are -- as everybody probably knows -- independent TED talks that take place all over the country. We have a few here in my home state of Colorado, including the Denver-based one, TEDxMileHigh.

2018's TEDxMileHigh is coming up soon. Here's a link to the event's website.

In my Twitter review of the event, I referenced a few of the talks.

Here is the talk by Brad Buchanan, on the connection between rural and urban spaces.


Here is the talk/performance by cellist Ian Cooke.


Here is the talk by Heidi Heissenbuttel on the benefits of increased inclusiveness in all levels of education.


And here is the talk by Susan Chandler about the connection between our physical sense of motion, emotion, and our cognitive capacities.


Susan Chandler's talk discusses the martial art of Aikido. One of the organizations at the 2014 TEDxMileHigh event was the Colorado Aikido group Rocky Mountain Ki Society. They're pretty cool. Here's a link to their website.

Another organization at the TEDxMileHigh event was the Denver Public Library. They were there to push their program Volume, an online library completely comprised of Denver-based musicians and groups! This is an incredibly valuable resource. And it just shows what a great music town Denver is. Here is a link to the DPL's Volume program.

To promote Volume, the Denver Public Library had a little stage set up for performances by some of the acts on the Volume roster. I watched a set by The Outfit. They were a really great band, though I think they disbanded in 2017. Here's a link to a great set of music they did for Daytrotter on July 21, 2014.

You'll notice in the Twitter thread that I also did a review of an event called Nan Desu Kan. My next blog post will relate to that event.

This blog project is a work in progress. So please feel free to give me feedback. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment