Monday, May 3, 2021

7/18/20 survey of online info for the exhibition Art AIDS America

Here is the link to my July 18, 2020, Twitter thread review of the traveling exhibition Art AIDS America.

I spoke about this exhibition a number of times over the course of 2020. It first got my attention in 2015, because it was a huge exhibit about AIDS art. It then got my attention because the Tacoma Action Collective protested it, since only 4 of the 100-plus artists were Black. When I first heard of the protests, I thought they were great.

I thought this exhibition would be really interesting to study, like I was studying other traveling exhibitions. But the history of this exhibition, as you will see, raised a lot of emotional turmoil in me -- some related to my own emotions about AIDS (my big brother died of AIDS in 1994), and some related to my own weird reaction, much of it racist, against the Tacoma Action Collective.

I tried again and again to reconcile my emotions and write a really good, logical thread about this show. But I failed each time.

Thank you for reading. Please enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment