Wednesday, January 16, 2019

7/3/15 review of film Disaster Playground by Nelly Ben Hayoun

Here is the link to my Twitter thread review of the Nelly Ben Hayoun film Disaster Playground.

Dr. Nelly Ben Hayoun's film Disaster Playground is like a documentary by way of Jean-Luc Godard. In the documentary, Nelly discusses the possibility of Earth getting struck by an asteroid, and visits the people tasked with researching Earth's risk. In my thread, I discuss Nelly's eccentric approach to telling this narrative. I also discuss how the documentary views America, social networks, and the professional versus the amateur.

Disaster Playground is easily one of my favorite films of the decade. It's also, unfortunately, one of the most overlooked. I absolutely recommend checking it out. Here is the trailer.


Also, here is a link to the website for Nelly Ben Hayoun (NBH) Studios. They are doing a lot of exciting stuff right now.

I saw this film at the Denver Film Society, a great movie house located in Denver, Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment