Wednesday, April 1, 2020

3/25/18 reaction to passage of FOSTA-SESTA

Here is the link to my Twitter thread reaction to the March, 2018, passage of FOSTA-SESTA by the US Senate.

The thread gives a summary and some background on HR 1865, the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act, or FOSTA-SESTA, as well as my experience with having gotten to understand it over the preceding month. I provide my own perspective on the history of laws like FOSTA-SESTA, why they don't protect kids, and why they hurt women, the LGBTQ community, and freedom of sexual expression, online and in real life. It also discusses my belief, which I amplified over the coming years, that sex work should be totally decriminalized.

My understanding of sex laws, sex work laws, and child exploitation laws, evolved quite a bit after this thread. So while I agree with a lot of what this thread says, I do feel that some of it misses the mark.

The tweets in some of my threads are twisted out of chronological order by Twitter's platform. This thread's coherency is greatly affected. My apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment