Friday, April 3, 2020

4/8/18 discussion about American viewpoints on guilt and the law


Here is the link to a Twitter thread I made in April of 2018 regarding what I saw as various American political viewpoints regarding guilt and the law.

The thread uses the books Redeeming the Dream: The Case for Marriage Equality, Seduction of the Innocent, and The Secret History of Wonder Woman to look at how public opinion about guilt is often shaped more by concepts of the general intelligence of human beings, the general sinfulness or innocence of human beings, and the access human beings have to vice. It counterpoises this public opinion against the concept of due process, which uses evidence and assumes people are innocent until proven guilty.

The tweets in some of my threads have been twisted out of chronological order by Twitter's platform. This thread's coherency is pretty badly affected. My apologies.

I also have to say that, even despite the way Twitter has mangled this thread, this is still one of my favorite threads that I've ever written.

No comments:

Post a Comment