Wednesday, March 4, 2020

11/25/17 discussion of 2017 controversy over child celebrities

Here is the link to a Twitter thread I did in November of 2017 about Ali Michael posting a flirtatious message to Stranger Things star Finn Wolfhard and the attendant controversy regarding child celebrities and over-sexualization.

The thread discusses my feelings about the justice of the Me Too movement and the need to believe people who say they've been sexually assaulted. But it also discusses my opinions (which I feel are pretty valid still today) about the mission creep of the movement and how it has become a veiled attack on women and the LGBTQ community.

The thread discusses what I call "sexual McCarthyism" -- a term I'd thought I'd invented (LOL), but which I have seen in other places recently, such as in the works of Patrick Califia. It also discusses my own experiences as a child with my sexuality and emphasizes that my childhood trauma came, not from adults flirting with me, but from Christian ideology making me feel really terrible about myself.

Unfortunately, this is yet another thread of mine that has been twisted around by the Twitter platform, making it somewhat hard to follow. It seems like my threads, starting in about October of 2017, all got twisted around. I'm not sure why.

No comments:

Post a Comment