Tuesday, March 24, 2020

2/6/18 review of artwork by Megan Angus


Here is the link to my Twitter thread review of a work by British high school artist Megan Angus.

The thread discusses how I came to learn of this artwork and why I decided to buy it.

The story of Angus's piece can be found here. Basically, Angus was a high school student in the UK when she made the artwork above. The school censored the work, but claimed that it was not censored because of its lesbian imagery, but because the imagery was too provocative for other students to see.

However, this was happening at a time when other students' free speech, in junior high and high schools in the UK and US was being greatly challenged -- specifically because the schools were worried that any type of LGBTQ speech would be too provocative for other students to hear.

I bought the work, hoping I could rally Denver's art community around it -- especially Denver's LGBTQ art community.

However, as I've mentioned many times before, Denver's art community (and parts of Denver's LGBTQ community) were pushing really hard to ostracize me from just about anything they could. As a result, I was never able to do much with this work -- though I am still hoping to get it shown somewhere -- both to promote Megan Angus's wonderful skill and to raise awareness about LGBTQ youth issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment