Tuesday, March 10, 2020

1/14/18 review of film The Mermaid, dir. by Stephen Chow


Here is the link to my Twitter thread review of the film The Mermaid, directed by Stephen Chow.

The thread gives a summary of the film. It also gives some background on the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema's Yum Cha film series, which is where I saw the film. The thread discusses the film's blend of action, slapstick comedy, and environmentalism. The thread also discusses the film's themes, such as the validity of environmentalism, sham environmentalism, humanity's mistaken belief in invincibility, and the self-consciousness of self-made people.

Some of my threads have been twisted out of chronological order by Twitter's platform. The coherency of this thread is pretty badly affected as a result. My apologies. But the tweets all address interesting aspects of the film. So it's still worth a read, in my opinion.

I saw this film at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Sloans Lake theater in Denver, Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment