Thursday, February 7, 2019

10/22/12 and 10/26/12 review of book Tube: The Invention of Television



This post is about one of my early Twitter book reviews.

I review the book Tube: The Invention of Television, by David E. Fisher and Marshall Jon Fisher.

Unlike most of my Twitter reviews, my earlier reviews were not in thread form, but were tweeted out in separate tweets. I've reproduced all the tweets here to make the review easier to read.

Also, strangely, I mentioned starting to read Tube, as well as finishing it. So I included those tweets in this review, too.

10/22/12

T1. Started reading Tube, the Invention of Television, by David E. Fisher and Marshall Jon Fisher, today. Part of the Sloan Technology Series.

T2. Tube is also interesting because it looks at the inventor as one might look at an artist. I got the same feeling from Crystal Fire.

10/26/12

T1. Finished reading Tube: The Invention of Television, by David and Marshall Fisher. Good book with a whole host of interesting characters.

T2. Tube gives three main characters: John Logie Baird (eccentric inventor), Philo Farnsworth (good thinker), and David Sarnoff (entrepreneur).

T3. As Tube shows TV's history, Baird loses out because of his method: the mechanical method. Farnsworth's electronic method prevails.

T4. But I do like David Sarnoff a lot. The book Tube made me want to learn more about Sarnoff's RCA and NBC, as well as GE, CBS, Philco, etc.

I checked this book out from the Jefferson County Public Library system in Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment