Wednesday, February 20, 2019

9/8/14 review of Roller Derby and Haruki Murakami

(Image: WFTDA)


Here is my Twitter thread review of a trip I took to Sacramento in September of 2014. While in Sac, I watched the Division 1 playoffs for the Women's Flat Track Derby Association and read the Haruki Murakami novel Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

I posted my header separate from the rest of the thread, for some reason.

The WFTDA is the circuit for the flat-track roller derby teams all around the world. The winners of the Division 1 playoffs go to the annual world championships. The 2014 playoffs was a weekend-long event, and I pretty much watched the whole thing.

The thread discusses some of my favorite teams and players, including Denver Roller Derby, who were at that time known as the Denver Roller Dolls.

I also briefly mention a quick excursion I took to the Lake Tahoe Keys, as well as time I spent at Temple Coffee and Insight Coffee.

My review of Murakami's novel discusses my sense of kinship with the novel's main character, as well as some kind of simplistic comparisons to other literature.

Here is the link to the WFTDA's website.

Here is the link to the Penguin Random House edition of Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

I bought Murakami's novel at the Tattered Cover Book Store in Colorado.



No comments:

Post a Comment