Friday, February 8, 2019

12/12/12 review of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers


Here is my Twitter review of the novel The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.

This is one of my earlier Twitter reviews. I did it on December 12, 2012.

Unlike many of my Twitter reviews, this was not posted in a thread. Instead, each tweet was posted separately.

I have put them all below for your convenience.

***

Tweet 1. Finished reading The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers. About the passionate lives of people in a small southern US town.

T2. I like a lot of the characters in McCullers' book. I identify with them, or at least wish I could be as passionate about life as they are. T3. I like Mick Kelly, the teenage girl beginning a woman, who discovers great music and dreams of being a traveler and inventor. T4. I also like Mick's little brother George, who is at first known as Bubber. He goes through a rite of passage, like Mick does. T5.  I love the role radio plays in McCullers' novel, especially Mick's relationship to various radios in the town.

T6. It's also interesting to think of the men Mick loves -- and the men the men Mick loves love. T7. I like John Singer, the man who lost his only friend in the world and becomes, through sympathy, a friend to all the people around him. T8. Mick loves Singer, but Singer loves Antonapoulos. Mick loves Harry, but Harry "has a crush on" Jake Blount. T9. Singer and Harry are both, in some ways, beautiful boys. Antonapoulos is fat and rude. Jake is a gruff, drunk ruffian -- but an idealist.

(The thread seems to end pretty abruptly here.)



No comments:

Post a Comment